About the job
Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
Hubbell Power Systems (HPS) engages in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of products used by utilities. Today, HPS is deeply engaged in product solutions for OSP Communication utility purposes, and has been actively growing that segment of the business. HPS roots have historically been in high voltage transmission, distribution, substation, underground products used by electric utilities. HPS products are also used in the civil construction, transportation, gas and water industries.
At HPS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of uncompromising integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers.
Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.
We have a future to create, so join Aclara as we harness science and engineering to make a difference. We’re at the intersection of communications, data technology, energy, and national resource engineering.
Over 800 energy and utility customers across the globe ask us to solve complex challenges from making the power grid smarter, to delivering clear water, to empowering their customers to conserve energy. We’re a hardware, software, and network engineering company building new solutions to hard problems. We’re big data gurus and in the field problem solvers.
Sound like your kind of challenge? Then join us. We’ll offer you a great work environment and competitive benefits such as medical, dental, and vision care, flex spending, 401k, tuition reimbursement, vacation, holiday and personal time, and we’re committed to diversity and our veterans.
The Director of Hardware Engineering will lead the hardware engineering team that designs, develops and maintains Aclara’s ANSI electricity metering and line sensor products.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the hardware development team that consists of Electrical & Mechanical engineers, Mechanical drafting, PCB layout, and Component Engineering.
- Work closely with Quality Assurance and Program Management to develop standardized hardware development methodologies and processes.
- Partner with Operations and Quality Assurance to ensure products are designed for manufacturability, testability, and ease of assembly.
- Document, monitor and improve the product development processes.
- Ensure proper peer reviews and require solid objective evidence of key design parameter analysis and design verification tests.
- Develop and maintain project staffing plans.
- Develop, track and publish metrics.
- Lead product cost reduction initiatives.
- Facilitate project-related communications with other departments.
- Support the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote the Company key messages.
- Challenge and inspire employees to achieve business results.
- Ensure employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Conduct and ensure the completion of performance reviews.
- Coordinate program work with other departments, including Software Engineering, Marketing, Sales, Product Management, Customer Support, and Manufacturing.
- Perform other activities as required.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in leading teams.
- Experience working with remote teams.
- Organized, ability to multi-task and stay organized.
- High energy, self-starter, with a proven track record in delivering results.
- Strong critical thinking/problem-solving skills.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or related degree.
- Experience with Metering, RF communications, Electromechanical assemblies.
- Advanced understanding of developing high volume, high reliability, low-cost products.
- Knowledge of ANSI (American National Standards Institute) C12, FCC (Federal Communication Commission), MC (Measurement Canada), UL (Underwriters Laboratories) standards and regulations.
- Green Belt Certified or equivalent Quality certification.
- Frequent sitting and standing.
- Normal Office and Laboratory activities.
- Travel domestically and internationally up to 20% of the time.
Bachelors Degree in Engineering General
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.